Building Permit Information
The Purpose of a Permit
A Building Permit gives you, your insurance company, your neighbors and the Town assurance that specific minimum standards are met in constructing, altering, or repairing your home by complying with the Building Code.
These standards are based on well-established health, safety, and environmental considerations intended to protect the integrity of the buildings, safety of the inhabitants, and the welfare of the public.
All building-related permits are now online. To access the online permitting system please use this link: https://woodbridgect.viewpointcloud.com/
Call 203-389-3419 to schedule an inspection for building permits that are issued.
When Do You Need A Permit?
A permit is needed for:
- Adding additions (upper floor, 1st floor expansion, greenhouse, etc.)
- Add a dormer
- Alteration or expansion of electrical system
- Alteration to source of required natural light and ventilation
- Build an attached garage
- Build a carport
- Build mechanical, supply or exhaust ventilation system
- Build, replace, or enclose and heat a new or existing porch system
- Change from a single family to multiple family building
- Complete modernization or conversion
- Construction or alteration of plumbing systems
- Demolish any building
- Erect chimneys
- Finish rooms in the attic or basement
- For the installation of new boilers, furnaces, plumbing fixtures, garages, additions, porches, decks
- For new construction, major repairs, renovations and demolitions
- Installation, replacement or extension of warm air furnaces in all building types
- Replace roof
- Replacement siding and roofing
- Replacement windows or doors
- To change the required exits or sources of natural light and ventilation (including windows)
- To change, replace, or remove walls, columns and beams
Building Permit fees are set by the Board of Selectmen. The current Fee Schedule became effective on July 1, 2018.
View the current Building Department Fee Schedule (PDF)