Carbon monoxide is often called the silent killer. It is invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuel (like gasoline, wood, charcoal, natural gas, propane, oil, methane, etc.) is burned incompletely.
Tips to Prevent Death
- After a snowstorm make sure vents for dryers, furnaces, and fireplaces are clear of snow.
- Gas or charcoal grills can produce carbon monoxide and should only be used outdoors.
- Generators should be used in a well ventilated location outdoors and away from doors, windows, and vents.
- Have your heating equipment inspected yearly by a licensed professional.
- If the carbon monoxide alarm sounds, call the Fire Department immediately, move occupants of the building to the outside and stay there until the Fire Department arrives.
- In the home, heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel can be sources of carbon monoxide.
- Install carbon monoxide alarms on each level of your home. Always follow the manufacturers installation instructions carefully.
- Prevent carbon monoxide buildup by maintaining your equipment. A blocked or leaking chimney or an undersized vent on a furnace or hot water heater can lead to carbon monoxide buildup in the home.
- Remove your vehicle from the garage after starting it. Do not run your vehicle or other fueled motors indoors.
- Test your carbon monoxide alarms monthly, and replace them every 5 years. Replace batteries as needed.