Portable generators are useful during winter storms, but if not used safely they can cause injuries and death. Here are some guidelines:
- Use portable generators outdoors in well-ventilated areas and a minimum 15' away from all doors, windows and vents.
- Make sure you have carbon monoxide alarms in your home.
- Do not use a generator in a wet area. This can cause shock or electrocution.
- Connect appliances to the generator with heavy-duty extension cords.
- Do not fuel your generator when it is running. Spilling gas on a hot engine can cause a fire.