After the winter storm this weekend, crews are working as fast as possible to restore power throughout town. Warming Center is open in the Center Building Cafeteria (4 Meetinghouse Lane) for residents to get warm and to charge devices.
As a reminder DO NOT TOUCH DOWNED WIRES AND/OR TREES ON DOWNED WIRES. Please report downed wires by calling 911. You may also report any downed trees blocking the road to Public Works at 203-389-3420 or 203-389-3492. To report power outages call United Illuminating at 800-722-5584. If you need other assistance, please call the Police non-emergency number at 203-387-2511. You may also alert UI about trees on wires at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Portable Generator Safety
Portable generators are useful during winter storms, but if not used safely they can cause injuries and death. Here are some guidelines:
- Use portable generators outdoors in well-ventilated areas and a minimum 15' away from all doors, windows and vents.
- Make sure you have carbon monoxide alarms in your home.
- Do not use a generator in a wet area. This can cause shock or electrocution.
- Connect appliances to the generator with heavy-duty extension cords.
- Do not fuel your generator when it is running. Spilling gas on a hot engine can cause a fire.